If I have changed my state of residence since forming a contract, which state’s small claims court do I file suit in?

I have a written contract with someone who currently resides in another state. At the time we made the contract, I also resided in that same state. I am considering enforcing my contract via small claims court. Do I have to file suit in their state or may I file suit in my current state?

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Arkansas


Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

typically, the UCC requires that the suit  be filed where venus exists.  In this case, venue is the place where the contract was entered into or a place where the defendant has a legal presence.  Does the other party do businss in the state of your residence?  if not, venue is proper in the juristiction in which the contract was entered.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.