If I have a U.S. BA degree, can I teach in U.S. public schools?

If so, could I get a Green Card? I’m not American and am unmarried.

Asked on April 2, 2019 under Immigration Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

In addition to having a BA (or BS), there are further credentials that are typically needed tin order to teach in a public svchool. ou'll need t contact the paticular school district that you want to teach in to find out what the requirements are that need to be met. Additionally, even if you have/obtain the proper credentials, there is no  mandate that a prospective employer need petition for an employee's green card; it is discretionary.

SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

It is not enough to have a US BA degree in order to qualify as a teacher.  You have to have credentials to be a teacher.  You need to find out what is required for the specific state and school district in which you are interested and then contact the schools about job openings.  Even then there is no guarantee that the school, even if they hire you, will want to petition for your green card.  This is discretionary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.