If I have a suspended license in one state, can I obtain a driver’s license in another state?

Asked on July 14, 2015 under General Practice, Tennessee


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The best answer is maybe.  Most states have interstate compact agreements with other states.  This means that one state will honor the other state's suspension.  They do so to prevent people from state shopping after a license suspension.  If you are moving to a state that does not have such an agreement with the suspending state, then you might have a chance of getting it... but most will honor the suspension.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.