If i have a speeding ticket in kinston, NC, and am required to appear in court can a freind appear for me or must it be an attorney?

I’m out of the country on my required court date.

Asked on September 3, 2017 under General Practice, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Your friend cannot appear in court for you. Call the court and ask the court clerk if you can make a telephone appearance instead of being physically present in court. If so, then ask the court clerk for the documents you need to request a telephonic appearance and the deadline for filing those documents.
If you don't file the correct documents or miss the filing deadline, your request will be denied.
If the request for a telephone appearance is denied, call an attorney who handles traffic cases.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.