IfI have a binding contract for reimbursement of hiring/training/education expenses do I have a legal responsibility to pay it back?

I owe money for tution, salary, testing, uniforms (which were turned in). Do I have to pay back? It’s $15,060.66 and has to be paid in 12 months.

Asked on December 2, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your question answers itself--a "binding" contract is enforceable; if under the contract you have to repay these expenses, then that contract is enforceable and you can be sued to recover the money if you do not pay voluntarily.

To escape payment, you would need:

1) Some contingency or circumstances in the contract under which you don't have to pay, and that contingency or circumstances happened;

2) The other party to the contract breached it in some significant or material way relating to the expenses--for example, didn't actually provide the training or education it claimed it did and for which it is seeking reimbursement; or

3) The contract was based on some material misrepresentation (or lie) made to you.

The above could, depending on the exact facts, provide grounds to not pay; otherwise, you would seem to be required, in the face of a binding contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.