If in a rental is in both our names, can my boyfriend just evict me because we don’t get along and he pays for everything?

I have 2 kids with a man that I live with and he supports us all. We’ve been together for 5 years but living together for almost 4 years now. I have 0 income since I stay at home to take care of the small kids.

Asked on December 1, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You cannot be evicted by someone who doesn't own the property. You rent a home or apartment with someone. If you are both on the lease, he can leave but he is still on the hook for your lease you have together and thus still liable to the landlord. You need to decide if at this point it will be wise for you to find employment and have someone take care of the small children while you work or see if you can qualify for assistance. Keep in mind if you decide to go for public assistance and you can qualify for section 8, you may still need to pay a portion of those fees and you need to see if your landlord will allow Section 8 tenants (some do not). If your boyfriend thinks he can evict you, he is sorely mistaken.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.