If I had surgery and then moved to another state but developed post surgery problems because it was done improperly, in what state do I pursue legal action?

I had to have the surgery redone.

Asked on October 29, 2015 under Malpractice Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You'd have to pursue legal action in the state in which the surgery was done or the state in which the surgeon (or whomever you believe committed malpractice) resides: you can only sue in a state which as a connection to the event (i.e. the surgery) or where a defendant is domiciled.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.