If Ihad an accident and stopped but a friend decided to drive away and got arrested, how canI help her because she is not the one who caused the accident?

Should I go to court and say I’m the one who had the accident?

Asked on November 6, 2011 under Accident Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your friend was actually arrested for a hit and run accident where you actually caused the incident, you need to consult with an attorney for yourself first and then depending upon what that attorney advises you, then you can through legal counsel assist your friend in her criminal matter.

The last thing that you want to do is make a difficult situation worse for your friend. This is why you need to consult with an attorney. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.