If I got my car wash at a car wash business, and after I left I notice that are spray marks and they won’t come off, can I sue?

I went to a local car wash business and let them change my oil and wash my car. My car was the last car to be wash before they closed. When I got home a saw where someone sprayed something on my car. I tried to wipe it of but it would not come off. Its all over my bumper, hood, and headlights. Can I sue to get them replace?

Asked on July 26, 2012 under Business Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you can show that the spray marks are the result of the car wash's negligence (or unreasonable carelessness), such as defective equipment, a careless act by an employee, etc., or a deliberate bad act by an employee then you may be able to sue for the cost to repair the damage (e.g. get the car professionally cleaned, or if that does not/will not work, repaint).

However, if the car wash did nothing wrong--e.g. even if you hadn't noticed it previously, it had been sprayed on your car elsewhere; or the marks or the result of the wash soap or wax (etc.) interacting badly with some substance which previously had gotten on your car--they would not be liable. Therefore, the key issue is whether you can establish the car washe's fault and responsibility for the marks.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.