If I got fired from a cash job in which I was prepaid am I legally required to pay back the un worked part of the pay?

I was working a cash job for a while.
There was no documentation and I was
always paid cash. Out if the blue I was
fired for no reason – I have proof of this.
Am I legally obligated to repay the 80
for the two days I didn’t work? I had no
intention of not working and gave no
indicators of wanting to quit.

Asked on April 28, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you would have to repay the money if the employer wants it back: when an employee is advanced money (e.g. prepaid) but then doesn't "earn out" the money by working (for example, is fired before doing so), the employee must repay the money. If you do not, the employer could sue you for the money (e.g. in small claims court)--though of course they may not: $80 may not be worth the time or effort (or cost: if they are an LLC or corporation, they'd have to hire an attorney to represent them in court).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.