If I got caught with drugs and agreed to help catch a dealer, can I be recharged?

I was pulled over with drugs in the car but not in my possession. The police did not take me to jail instead they took me to the police station to speak with a narcotics officer. I signed papers to help them find dealers.They agreed to keep this a secret. I went to probation and was questioned about the situation. Do I still have to help?

Asked on May 29, 2012 under Criminal Law, Indiana


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I personally do not encourage these types of deals with police officers because there is no way to ensure that there end of the bargain is met. Typically if you agree to assist in the prosecution of a person with the District Attorney or prosecutor, you agreement will be in writing. Deals with officers are usually verbal, never written, and there is never a set limit on your performance. They may require you to snitch on one dealer before they disregard arresting and charging you, or they may require you to snitch on several dealers, which can put you at risk. Nonetheless, this will be a personal decision that you have to make, and whether or not you believe that your assistance will result in the non-prosecution of potential drug charges.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.