IfI got a DUI and want to go to rehab instead of prison, what canI do?

Asked on December 11, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the arrest for the driving under the influence charge is your first time and assuming no one was injured as the result of the incident, the chances of you being sentenced to jail time as opposed being sent to classes about the dangers of drinking and driving is somewhat remote.

If you do not have a criminal defense attorney representing you with respect to the incident that you are writing about, I suggest that you retain one. Ultimately it will be up to the judge hearing your case to make the sentence as to you going to jail or not assuming you plea out or go to trial and are convicted of the charge.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.