If I give a third party permission to talk to a creditor about my debt after the statute of limitations expires, can they restart the statute for me?

There is a lien on a vehicle that a debt collection company has the title to. The statute of limitations has expired on the debt. A person wants to purchase my vehicle, but has to get the title from the debt collection company. I, understandably don’t want to talk to them about releasing the lien, so if I give permission for this guy to talk to the debt collection company about the lien, can he in fact act as an agent for me and restart the debt that I owe for the vehicle?

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The only way the statute of limitations defense can be eliminated is if parties to a dispute sign a document in writing stating such. The statute of limitations run with respect to an obligation due when the due date for payment arises and no payment is made. As such the statute continues to run absent a written agreement by the parties to the contrary signed and dated.

In answer to your question, the permission given by you to a third party to talk to a creditor about your debt after the statute of limitations expires does not restart the statute again. It has already run.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.