If I get married will my wife’s wages be garnished for my child support obligations since I am not working?

Asked on November 15, 2012 under Family Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you fail meet your child support obligation, it usually qualifies as a separate premarital debt and can't be taken from a spouse's paycheck.

Note: In CA, 20% of the of your spouse's income can be used for purposes of increasing the amount of child support, if your child's mother ever seeks a modification.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.