If I was charged by my employer on a criminal case and I won, can I file for a civil suit case for back pay?

Asked on August 26, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your question doesn't explain why you are seeking back pay--is it because your employer terminated you? If so, then you do not have a viable case for back pay unless you had a written employment contract which has been violated. In the absence of an employment contract, you are an employee at will and may be terminated at any time, for any reason, including that your employer thinks--even if mistakenly--that you committed a crime. If you were an employee at will no employment contract, you had no right to your job and your employer could terminate you over an alleged criminal act.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.