If I get a paternity test and my daughter is not my fiance’s child, can he still sign the birth certificate if her father has not made a point to be around throughout the pregnancy?

Asked on November 5, 2012 under Family Law, Nebraska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

There is nothing illegal under the laws of all states in this country for a person who is not the father of a child to sign the birth certificate. The designation of a person as the father under a birth certificate only creates a presumption that the designated person is the father subject to rebuttal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.