If I get a DUI in a different state than I am licensed in,is my right to drive in that state automatically restored once the case is dismissed in court?

I never paid my fine. I was arrested on a warrant and charged with driving without a license. I went to court and was sent back to the courthouse where the original DUI was handled to take care of the warrant and the fine. I paid the fine and the case was dismissed. I have a court date coming up to handle the driving without a license charge. Since the original DUI was dismissed is my right to drive automatically restored?

Asked on October 25, 2011 under Criminal Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Good question. Even though the driving under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance charge was dismissed, you still have a charge of driving without a license which is a separate and unrelated charge than the one that was dismissed.

As such, your right to drive was not automatically restored due to the dismissal of the first charge. I recommend that you retain a criminal defense attorney to assist you concerning the upcoming court date for driving without a license in order to get that charge squared away. Most likely a competent criminal defense attorney will be able to minimize any resulting penalties that could result given the current charge that has not been dismissed in light of the dismissal of the driving under the influence.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.