If i filed for divorce and custody, but we reconcilled and i submit a dismisall in california

does my wife need to do anything or do i just explain why i am asking for the dismissal?

Asked on October 19, 2017 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

IF you are the Plaintiff in the divorce action you can discontinue the matter any time you wish.  Just make sure that if your wife answered the action and interposed a COUNTERCLAIM for divorce then she must also discontinue the counterclaim.  Otherwise her action for divorce is still pending.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.