If I file an order if protection against my husband, how will that affect his rights to see our 13 month old daughter?

Asked on September 24, 2012 under Family Law, Tennessee


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Depending on the reason for the order and the extent of any abuse, the court can restrict or withhold visitation rights.  If the violence is extreme, they will order very limited or controlled periods of visitations.  If he just has anger issues, they will order similar, but lesser restricted, types of visitations.  If the violence was only occassional and only directed at you, the court may order very few restrictions.  When filing for the order of protection and/or divorce, it's important to give the court as many details as possible about the abuse directed towards use, any threats involving your daughter and the results of either.  The more information the judge has, the better decision he can make to provide for you and your daughter's safety.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.