If I don’t have children – how do I designate step-child as secondary beneficiary?

I do not have children and want to designate my step-child an adult as a secondary beneficiary should my wife predecease me? I am using the Wisconsin Basic Will form and it only indicates that I leave my assets to my wife first fine and then to children which I do not have. Thanks for your help.

Asked on September 9, 2018 under Estate Planning, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Don't simply use a form will which may not, as you note, accommodate your needs. Type up your own will, which can do; use the form will as a basic guide or template, but depart from it where appropriate--for example, change the clause or term you describe to read instead that you leave your estate to stepchildren should your wife predecease you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.