If I don’t return to my former state of residence for a misdemeanor possession/paraphernalia ticket. what will the repercussions be?

If I don’t return for court and a bench warrant is issued is there anyway they can aggravate the charges? I am quite aware through research of my own that “not all background checks are created equal”. In all probability would this minor ticket and bench warrant appear on my record here in my new state of residence? How long must I wait untilthat warrant and charges are cleared. Also, it this a non-extraditable offense?

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Criminal Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you fail to return to the court where you have current criminal charges pending, a bench warrant will be issued for your arrest making a challenging situation for you even the more worse.

If a bench warrant is issued for your arrest, you will be posted as being wanted throughout the criminal justice computer programs in all states in this country. Meaning, if you get stopped by law enforcement in another state, you very well will be arrested for the oustanding warrant and will be required to post a bond for your appearance in the other state before you are released.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.