If I don’t pay the remaining balance of my bail to the bail bondsman will it effect my credit?

I paid $5000 of the $10000 I owed to the bail bondsman. I turned in the bail exoneration form and was sentenced. If I don’t pay the rest of the bail what will happen?

Asked on May 19, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I'm not a California lawyer, and it isn't clear from your question whether the bail exoneration finished paying off the bail bondsman -- or if the $10,000 you owed was the fee for a $100,000 bail bond.  If under your contract with the bail bondsman, you still owe him $5,000, then at the very least he can go to court and get a judgment against you, and that will definitely hurt your credit until it is paid off -- with court costs and interest.  And with a judgment, your assets -- house, car, bank accounts, whatever -- can be taken and sold to pay it off.

There might be other legal remedies the bail bondsman has, that are special to the bail bond situation.  And if you ever need another bail bond, you're likely to have a large problem if you don't pay this.

As I said, I'm not a California lawyer.  There may also be other facts that are important here, beyond what you've put in your question.  To be sure of your rights -- and the bondsman's rights against you -- please talk to an attorney in your area.  One way to find counsel is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.