If I didn’t know the age ofa person, can I still be found guilty of providing alcohol to a minor?

I was approached by what appeared to be two women while outside the store. They asked if I would buy them a case of beer. 5 minutes later, I was pulled over and the officer informed me that they were underage (still haven’t seen any proof). What defense options do I have?

Asked on September 17, 2010 under Criminal Law, Idaho


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The general rule is that there are some crimes that are considered "strict liability" which means that you do not have to have intent to commit the crime in order to commit it.  In other words, regardless of your knowledge, if you violate it, you may be arrested.  Other examples of strict liability crimes are speeding or statutory rape.  For example, if you sleep with a girl that looks like she's 25 but turns out to be 14, you may still be arrested for statutory rape.  Therefore, your knowledge of these women being  underage in your case is probably not relevant.  With respect to your defense, I suggest that you retain a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible in the interest of obtaining the most favorable resolution possible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.