If I decline child support now, can I get child support later?

Asked on September 13, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you decline child support now, then you can still file for it later if the court finds that ordering the payments later are in the best interest of the child.  Many judges will order child support as a matter of policy.  Some Texas judges, in fact, will not approve a final order that does not provide for child support because they do not want the child penalized for the parent's decisions.  So, just know that even though you may decline the child support, the judge can always overrule your decision and decide to order it now. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.