IfI carry uninsured motorist, doI still have to add my kids in my household to my automobile insurance?

Asked on August 31, 2011 Louisiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you will need to add your kids, who are driving your vehicle, to your auto insurance.

Uninsured motorist coverage means that if you are in an accident and the other driver is at fault and does NOT have insurance, your uninsured motorist coverage will pay your property damage (depending on the amount of uninsured motorist coverage your policy includes) and your personal injury claim again depending on the amount of uninsured motorist coverage your policy includes.

If you did not have uninsured motorist coverage, you would have to sue the at-fault uninsured driver for your damages (property damage and personal injury).  Most uninsured drivers have few if any assets and although you might get a court judgment against the other driver, enforcing the judgment and receiving compensation  could be a problem if the uninsured driver has little or nothing in terms of assets.

If your kids are uninsured and are driving your vehicle and are at fault in an accident, you would be liable as the registered owner of the car as well as being their parent.  The other driver could sue you for his/her damages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.