If I can prove that my husband was abusive and had an affair for many years of our marriage, do I have to wait an entire year of being separated to get a divorce?

I just want to cut all ties with him ASAP.

Asked on August 13, 2018 under Family Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortuantely, there seems to be no way around the one year requirement.  It is what is called "jurisdictional" and allows the court to hear the case in the first instance.  Please go and speak with an attorney and see if he or she can help with his harrassment of you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.