Buying a house from a criminal.

If I buy a house from someone that commits a crime, can anyone take the house away from me for money owed to the seller?

Asked on June 12, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


x x

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It depends; I would need more information. Does the house represent proceeds from a crime? Has the government filed for forfeiture? What is your relationship to the seller? There is a big difference between the government's claim in a criminal case, versus a private individual's claim in a civil matter. Feel free to email me at or call 913 441 5025 to discuss this further.

Sean Santoro

Santoro Law Office

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.