If I asked for a transfer, is it legal if another employee secretly calls the store I am to transfer to and tells them not to hire me?

My store got a new manager. With that new manager came hour cuts and I was suddenly unable to afford my apartment. I asked for a transfer to a store closer to where I was forced to move weeks before the move took place, and was told by the other store there was room for me. Months later, I’m not transferred and I’m being told my position was filled. I was also told that one of the other employees called that store and told them not to hire me because she doesn’t like me. This has resulted in a loss of all but 4 of my hours a week. There HAS to be something I can do legally?

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, if one of your co-employees called some supervisor of the store that you wanted to be transferred to and told "untruths" about you resulting in your failure to get transferred and reduced hours where you are now employed, you may have a legal action against that co-employee for "defamation" and resulting damages as to wage loss.

Given such a potential scenario, you may wish to consult with an attorney that practices personal injury and labor law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.