If I am the victim of an assault with a deadly weapon charge, am I entitled to monetary compensation?

Asked on November 25, 2015 under Personal Injury, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can apply for monetary compensation, to the Crime Victim Compensation Program; at the end of this answer is a weblink that may be helpful. They *may* provide compensation. You also could sue your attacker in civil court, such as for medical bills, lost wages, "pain and suffering" if you suffered some significant and relatively long-lasting impairment or detriment, etc. Obviously, it would only make sense to sue if the attacker seems to have money or assets.
Here is the link: http://www.azcjc.gov/ACJC.Web/victim/VictComp.aspx

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.