If I am the cause of an auto accident, can the person injured go after my 401K and pension plan?

If so, how do I protect them?

Asked on November 11, 2012 under Accident Law, Montana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

First, if you were involved in an accident then you need to contact your insurance company as soon as possible.  You are entitled to a defense if your are sued by the other party/ies.  Now, if your coverage is sufficient for the damages alleged then you should be fine and not worry.  I would consult with an attorney just in case.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.