If I am teaching piano and voice lessons in my home in the state of virginia do I need to file as a business?

My husband and I teach private and group music lessons out of our home.
I want to make sure that we are doing everything that we need to do.
Should I file as a LLC or apply for a DBA?

Asked on March 19, 2017 under Business Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You should set up an LLC. Doing so will help protect you from any business-related debts or liabilities (e.g. if a disgruntled or dissatisifed customer sues); it will also facilitate taking business expenses (e.g. instruments? recordings? books of music?) as tax deductions, since if you have a separate LLC account and/or credit card, it creates a stronger, clearer record that the expense was business related. The cost to set up the LLC is itself deductible. And if you elect "partnership" (not "corporate") tax treatment, the LLC will be a "disregarded" or "pass through"entity and there will be no double taxation. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.