If I am representing myself, should I have the right to request to see the original copy of a document that has my signature if I do not recall signing it?

Asked on July 20, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you have commenced litigation (i.e. a lawsuit), then you could get access to this documents, such as by using the tools of "discovery" (information gathering in litigation), like a written document request or written "interrogatories" (questions), which can themselves include a document request. 

But if you are not in litigation, while you can "ask," they do not need to provide it to you; you can't compel someone to give you access to their files or copies of documents other than by using court process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.