How do I switch my probation to another state?

Asked on December 13, 2011 under Criminal Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Transferring probation from one state to another is not as simple as that. Your PO will have to approve the move.  So ask them what your state's requirments are for a transfer (get them in writing); be sure to show your PO that you have met them. The stronger the case that you can make regarding your move the better. For example, have a place to live, a job lined up, etc. (and have proof). This should make things easier. If not, then you'll probably have to stay in the state in which you are currently live.

Technically, if your original PO does not want to give you authorization to transfer, you may appeal the decision with the judge who presided over your trial/proceedings. Typically, however, they rule on the side of the PO in these matters. So, if it comes to it, you would need to show that the decision places you at extreme hardship. s well as demonstrate to the court that all state transfer requirements have been met. So have all of your proof and backup documentation with you (neat and organized) when you appear before the judge.

Note: Transferring probation from one state to another also requires the agreement of the "receiving state". This means that the state that you want to move to must agree to accept you and put you on probation there.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.