If I am on bail/bond with a no contact provision, what happens if the person who had me arrested and charged current no contact, contacts me?

I was arrested for a disorderly by my wife. She signed the 72hr no contact. The court hopes I’ll take a DV plea, I won’t, and has the current bail/bond set at “no contact” I filed a motion to change to NVC, court denied. My wife is making contact w/me, I have not responded. Can she get in trouble? How does the “no contact” law work?

Asked on August 19, 2012 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If there is a mutual "no contact" order in place between you and the person who made a report against you and had you arrested, then you need to contact law enforcement immediately about this unwanted contact by the third person. Given the circumstances that you are in pending this criminal matter, I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney as to how to handle any future unwanted contact with you by the person who made the report against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.