If I am on a month-to-month lease with 3 other roommates but have decided to leave, am I liable for any of the rent if I give a 30 day notice to the landlord?

I’ll pay rent for the 30 day notice period. If I do so, will my roommates have to pay the full amount without me contributing any money towards rent once I vacate the residence? I talked to the LL and he stated since we all signed wre all jointly responsible for the full amount and if I leave I could end up paying for rent since my roommates want to stay. He also said since we signed the month-to-month rent together, if I choose to leave the lease becomes void.

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Any party to a month to month lease may terminate the tenancy on a month's notice--so you may provide notice and leave, and would not be responsible for rent past that point. The leases of your co-tenants would remain in effect and they'd be responsible for paying for full rent if they stay--though they could give their own notice and leave. If the landlord does not get the full rent, then she could evict.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.