If I am not working and served with divorce papers, can I be forced to move out of the home?

Asked on September 16, 2012 under Family Law, Missouri


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

At some point and time, one party will have to leave the home or household when parties divorce.  If you are served with papers and your spouse is granted exclusive use of the residence or the household, then yes, you could be forced to move out of the home.  Considering that you are not working, the courts will often give a spouse in this situation some time to fine a new residence before forcing the removal.... unless the situation involves domestic violence.  In these cases, the kick-out could be immediate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.