If I am listed as grantee on a property judgement recorded in my county clerk office and tax office, am I the lawful property owner?

I am wondering if I had lost a real estate judgement case 10 years ago but the county clerk public records shows that I am the grantee in that case. Also, the tax office show me as owner am I still the owner? Even if I lost the case. Can I take possession of the property?

Asked on July 1, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you know that the records are wrong and the property is no longer yours I would work toward having the documents corrected to properly reflect the true owner so that you can no be held liable for back taxes or injuries had on the property, etc.   Taking possession would not be proper.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.