If I am getting a divorce, how can I prevent my soon-to-be ex-husband from taking my son out the country?

I got married in Senegal and my husband came to the U.S last year on a spousal visa. I want a divorce now and he is trying to take my baby back to Senegal with him. How can I stop this?

Asked on September 2, 2018 under Family Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If your name is on the birth certificate, your husband cannot legally apply for a passport for your child without your permission unless he has sole legal custody. Additionally, once divorce papers have been filed, your husband will not be allowed to remove the baby from your state/county, let alone overseas/across boarders, again if he does not have legal custody. At this point, you need to file for the divorce and ask the court for temporary custody; permanent custody will be decided when the divorce is finalized. You really need to consult directly with a local attorney on all of this; they can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.