If I was drinking and got into a car accident with no one else invovled, can I be charged with a DUI?

I went to the hospital.

Asked on August 19, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The way one can be charged with driving under the influence of alcohol and/or a controlled substance if you were in an automobile accident involving no one else is for blood to be drawn from you at the hospital after the accident and tested for alcohol levels. The results coupled with what is observed at the scene of the accident could lead to criminal charges being filed against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.