If I am disputing the validity of a debt regarding a fraudulent car loan, can the car still be repossessed during a dispute process?

Accounting errors and undisclosed parties involved is the reason for the dispute, if payments are behind and they have received a dispute letter can they still legally repossess the car after receiving a dispute letter?

Asked on September 16, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Connecticut


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

In order to answer your question, you need to carefully read your loan agreement regarding the automobile in dispute in that its terms and conditions control the obligations owed by you to the lender and vice versa in the absence of conflicitng state law.

From what you have written, there is a possibility under the written loan agreement the lender can repossess the vehicle despite the dispute letter over accounting errors and other issues. If the car is repossessed and it turns out that the repossession was improper, then the lender and the entity repossessing the vehicle will have some problems for wrongful repossession.

From what you have written, I suggest that you consult with an estate attorney to assist you in this dispute.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.