if I am charged with a crime will I be served with papers and go to court or will I be arrested?

Asked on July 24, 2012 under Criminal Law, Washington


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Typically once you are charged with a crime, one of two things will happen. Either you will receive a notification from the court indicating to you the date and time for your scheduled criminal arraignment in court, or a warrant will be issued in which you will either be arrested or you can go to your local police department and turn yourself in on the warrant. I would advise you contact your local district court to see if a warrant has issued, and if so, see if you can do a walk in criminal arraignment at court without turning yourself in to the police first.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.