If I am Canadian, how long can I wait to start my residency/citizenship process after I get married to my American fiancée?

Asked on December 12, 2015 under Immigration Law, Missouri


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can apply for permanent residence through marriage at any time or never.  It really just depends on whether you need it or not.  If you have a different way of residing in the US in lawful status, then you may not need it at all.  If you will not even be residing in the US since, as you say, you will be traveling internationally, you may  not need it at this time but may need it in the future when you are ready to settle permanently in the US.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.