If I am being named in a civil suit but papers were served to my parents home, do I need to appear in court if I did not physically receive them?

And, how can they prove receipt?

Asked on November 5, 2013 under Personal Injury, California


Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

In many jurisdictions, sufficient service is obtained by serving the documents at the last knon place of residence.  The plaintiff may have delved into the DMV records to locate you.  Perhaps it was an accident report.

Understand that you have a duty to notify public officials of a change of address and you usually can't hide behind the excuse that you moved.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.