If I am a recipient in my mother’s Will, do I have a right to see it?

My mother had more than property, it was told to me by the executor that I only received half of the property minus expenses for taking care of her while she was alive. I’m OK with that, but there were other assets, I have never seen the Will, I was never told who the lawyer was and one of my brothers was not even on the Will. How will I know if the information was never given to me, not even the lawyer’s name or number.

Asked on March 19, 2017 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If your mother had a Will and it has been admitted for probate, it is now a matter of public record so you, or anyone else for that matter, can obtain a copy from the probate court. Yet, even if it has not been filed yet, you can still get a copy since as your mother's child you are an "interested party" in her estate. That is you stand to inherit if she died "intestate" (i.e. without a Will). Consequently, you have a right to ask to see the Will in order to make sure that it in fact actually exists. That having been said, you could have also been disinherited but at least you will know for sure. At this point, you can consult directly with a probate attorney who can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.