If I am a legal resident of one state but my wife is a legal resident of another, where should we file for divorce?

My wife and I have lived in my state for about 18 month but she never became a resident here. I am petitioning for a divorce, citing irreconcilable differences, and am unsure of where to file the petition.

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Family Law, Connecticut


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this coutnry, you can file your petition to dissolve your marriage in the county and state where you reside or in the county and state where your wife resides. It is your choice.

From a practical standpoint as well as cost perspective, it might be a better choice for you to file your petition for a marital dissolution in the county and state of your residence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.