If I am 17 years old and pregnant, am I legally aloud to leave my parent’s house without their consent or without them being able to report me a runaway?

I am 17 and pregnantbut the baby’s father is completely involved so I have someone to support me financially. I have a safe place to go and I would really like to leave my parent’s house because it is nothing but screaming, hitting and fights around the house. I have tried to leave but my mom said that if I leave she was allowed to call and report me as a runaway. She also said that she could get me in trouble or sent to juvenile hall, so I wanted to get the truth from someone who knows the law. I’m desperate for details about being able to leave your parent’s house at 17 if I’m pregnant.

Asked on July 29, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The issue is not whether or not you are pegnant but the fact that you are seventeen (17) years old and deemed a minor subject to the trust and charge of your parents under the laws of all states in this country until you are eighteen (18) years of age or an order of emancipation.

You can leave your parents' home but your parents have a legal obligation to safeguard your interests until you are an adult. If you leave without their consent, you most likely will be reported as a runaway.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.