If I already talk to the judge and came to agreement on visitation and child support but I haven’t signed anything until next court date, can I change my mind and get me a lawyer?

I’ve been battling divorce for about a year now, we are almost at the end but
when I went to mediation I wasn’t sure of what I agreed to cause I was
emotionally incapable of thinking straight. We talked to the judge and asked me
if I agree to child support amount and visitation and I said yes but we haven’t
signed anything yet til next court date. Can I change my mind and hire a lawyer?
I’m more worried about visitation since the kid barely been around their dad and
they cry when they have to go. What can I do?

Asked on May 2, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It depends on what you signed at mediation and how everything was worded at court when you did talk to the judge.  Some mediation agreements are not revokable, except under extreme circumstances.  Before you go back to court, you need to take your mediated settlement agreement (if you entered one) and any other documents that you have, and let a family law attorney review them asap.  If you can get the court reporter to type up your conversation with the judge, that would be very helpful as well.  From there, an attorney can advise you on whether or not they can help you undo or revoke any agreements that you have made.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.