If I have a judgement lien against someone but they have moved out of state and are selling their house, am I able to put a judgement lien on their house now?

Case was won about 6 months ago but recently discovered he moved across the country. He is currently trying to sell his house. I’m just trying to figure out if I am able to put the lien on the house now since he is not living in it. And if so, where do I go to file this information?

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


Mitchell Goldman / Law Offices of Cantwell and Goldman, P.A.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I assume you mean that the defendant is trying to sell his house in Florida for purposes of this answer.

A judgment lien does not attach to the homestead real property of the defendant. However, if the defendant has moved out of state then the house may no longer be his homestead real property and the judgment lien would therefore attach to the property. A certified copy of the judgment lien containing your mailing address must be recorded in the county where the property is located. Your lien is subordinate to any existing mortgages or other liens which have been already filed of record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.