If driving your personal vehicle for work purposes and you cause an accident, does your personal insurance pay first and do you get sued first or does it go to company you are working for?

I had and event that prevents me from being on the company auto insurance and the general liability coverage of the business would not cover me driving either. However I have a personal car and insurance the only thing I would have to get is a umbrella policy for 5M like the company has on myself. If I did this would this protect the company I work for from being responsible for any monetary amount?

Asked on April 8, 2016 under Accident Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

To make sure you are covered for this, you would have to disclose to your insurer that you are driving for work as well as personal use, and they will adjust your policy and premium accordingly. Otherwise, if you use your car regularly for work and get into an accident while using it for work, your insurer may be able to deny coverage on the basis that you misrepresented the type of use you made of the vehicle.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.