If divorce papers say you are to continue to pay the mortgage on the home once divorced but your name is not on the deed, are you still responsible for paying the mortgage?

When my friend became divorced her ex-husband left her with the single-wide mobile home and 2 kids. In the divorce papers, it states she is to continue paying the mortgage even though it is in his name and her name is nowhere on the loan or deed to the property. Her home is in need of major repair and would probably be deemed uninhabitable if the inspector was sent out to see it. She is facing eviction in 2 months. What type of legal action would be brought against her if she stopped paying the mortgage? What type of lawyer would be able to help in this situation?

Asked on October 28, 2017 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, your friend is still responsible for paying the mortgage even though her name is not on the deed, because she was ordered to do so in the divorce. Being ordered to pay, for example, a $1,000/month mortgage in your divorce is no different than being ordered to pay your ex an extra $1,000/month in support or alimony (or, for that matter, being ordered to pay for his health insurance) and is equally enforceable. If your friend fails to pay, her ex could bring a legal action to hold her in "contempt of court" for failing to abide by the divorce order or settlement, which could result in her being fined and *possibly* facing jail time if she continues to not obey. And/or the ex could seek a court order allowing her wages to be garnished to make up any arrears or shortfalls in payment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.